Background

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Someone's gotta say it.

Is it just me that sees these all over Pinterest?








Ok -- I'm not going to pretend I haven't laughed at any of these before because I have. But it's almost the same at when I laugh at some Mormon jokes. I can laugh because I'm Mormon (and when it comes to Mormon culture -- some are hilarious because they're true). But sometimes... I just don't find them funny. 

Ok, ok. I used to laugh at a lot of Taylor Swift memes. But I've noticed the press has been really hard on her lately and so has society. And I'm not going to sit here and try to "protect" or "defend" her -- but I do want to state my opinion on the matter.

Number ONE. Taylor Swift is not Adele. They may be the same age, but they are two separate artists and have utter and completely two different styles of music. BEFORE you go crazy on me and rant about how much more "artistic" or "real" Adele is -- hear me out. Prior to seeing that last meme, I had NO idea that Adele was around the same age as Taylor Swift. I had NO CLUE why her album's were called "20" and "21" because based on her voice, her music and the fact she has a child -- I was under the assumption that she was in her thirties. Granted she makes me want to start cutting myself every time I listen to her, Adele has a very mature sounding voice and she is very talented. So, naturally, I thought she was older.

With that being said, Taylor Swift, like myself, is... 22. Like myself, Taylor Swift has probably kissed boys. She's also probably had her short-lived flings and been heartbroken a time or two. Or, on several occasions for that matter because either the guys she's dated are tools or flakey -- or, simply, it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. And then she's probably had a few legitimate boyfriends who have legitimately left her broken. And, of course, maybe one whom she has had to repeatedly tell, "We are never, ever getting back together" because she just couldn't put up with him or his crap anymore.

NOW... looking at my own, normal 22 year old life, I sit here and think... I can easily give her the benefit of the doubt because there have been SEVERAL occasions when I've needed to vent about a guy that I'm missing, a guy that I've been hurt by, and sometimes just a guy that left me in the dirt -- and there have been more than just that "one" guy that's done the exact same thing to me before! So, on that note, I've vented about guys (some boys) in a blog post -- some have even gotten more than one blog post "dedicated" to them. (Granted... they remain anonymous -- but it's still happened.) 

Does that make ME crazy? Does that make ME stuck in high school? Does that make ME the problem? 

Taylor Swift is 22. She lives a 22 year old life. She dates. She occasionally gets as boyfriend. She gets heartbroken. And, she needs to vent once in a while about it.

(And then... she makes millions -- but that's beside the point.) 

But before I end this post -- one more thing.

Taylor Swift may not be as great of a singer or lyricist as a lot of other artists out there. But, I will say this... She knows how to express my own feelings in a way that no other artist can. Without Taylor Swift, I don't know who else would write about my life -- or any other 22 year old girl's for that matter. 

So, to conclude, I'm a diehard and proud of it. If you don't like her, I'm completely okay with that. And we can still be friends -- I just had to make a point. But, then again...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers