So my first week at BYU was a roller-coaster. To be completely honest, my emotions were all over the place. Now -- don't get me wrong! They were nowhere near as bad as they used to be... as in like 3 months ago! (That would've been awful! HA!)
Anyway -- overall it was fantastic, but there were definitely some "moments" where I had to hold back the tears.
I love it here. It's bigger and it's not Idaho. That ALONE makes it better, right?!
But there's one thing here that I just don't get... that one thing is HUGE...
The people.
I know I ranted and RAVED about them in my last post... but really.
I will just say... they're different than what I'm used to. I thought it was a joke -- I thought the whole "Utah" stereotype was just an over-exaggeration. Oh no. It's not. It's really made me miss my friends in Idaho. I miss my roommates (A.K.A. my best friends ever) like crazy. I have the most wonderful roommates here -- I truly lucked out! They're awesome! But it's definitely different when your last roommates were truly your greatest of friends. That's been the hardest part -- doing this whole college thing without them now. #missyouguys
I met quite a few people at church on Sunday, but then again there were those few whom I just didn't see myself ever talking to or ever getting to know because they'd never give a "person like me" the time of day. Catch my drift? I sat in sacrament really homesick for BYU-Idaho. If I can be honest here... I was fighting back the tears for the whole hour during sacrament meeting. I was really missing my old ward and old times. Then that person came to mind and I almost lost it.
But... I held it together. Sorta. My right eye kept "watering" really bad during the intermediate hymn. That was a toughie!
After sacrament I was set apart for my calling and after that blessing, I was refreshed and ready to take on the world. Nothing too special was said, but I was suddenly happy again.
The social life here has been interesting. Like I said, a good majority are from somewhere here in Utah, but the genuine people that I've met have been great. I can tell the ward is great, but it will just take time getting to know. There are definitely those that I won't ever talk to simply because, like I said earlier, they wouldn't ever approach me in the first place because they're from Utah or SoCal or whatever -- but then there are also a lot of great girls in the ward who approached me and were SO excited to meet me and have become my friends. (That's a plus.)
ANYWAY -- as far as the daaaaaating life goes...
It's only just beginning.
Let the games begin.
(HOWEVER -- I can pinpoint the players here from a mile away. I'm staying away from those ones. Don't worry, I know better.)
Background
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment