Background

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Goals. Is there anyone that accomplishes them anymore?

So this morning I did a little bit of soul-searching, trying to figure out the meaning of all of this right now. "All of this" being my current status in life. Broken engagement, nothing to do, trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go, what I'm supposed to do, and if I'm really supposed to let go of him... forever?

But as we all know, God never works on our preferred timetable, nor does He answer us when we want Him to. Only when He wants to. I've read a bit about "waiting on the Lord" and what that really means. In fact, in the July 2012 Ensign, there is a talk or two about trusting in His plan for all of us and waiting on Him to get our lives "going" or waiting on Him to bless us with what we're waiting for -- or even what He thinks is best for us. In my current situation, it's waiting on Him to show me how this is all going to make sense in the end... because right now, I don't have a clue. And it frustrates me like crazy.

Today several things occurred to me. Mostly personal things, but other things I'd like to share, as well. "Enduring well" or "waiting on the Lord" is more than just sitting and waiting for Him to give us answers. It's making goals and actively striving to do our best to improve ourselves and our relationship with Him while waiting for the answers and blessings He has for us. By doing this, we're in essence doing all in our own power to show Him that we trust Him and that we're patient enough to receive the blessings when He is ready to grant them to us -- not when we think we're ready. It's TRUSTING Him. Trusting that He has a plan and that His plan is the best plan.

So my point! -- As I wait for guidance and answers, I am going to make some goals for the next 3 months while I'm at home. (Whatever I choose to do, I hope I can get the ball rolling by January when school starts again.) I learned last semester in a Personal Wellness class (that I shamefully failed, by the way) that life isn't just about making long-term goals. It's about making short-term, daily goals in all aspects of life. In order to keep me on my toes and actively doing these goals, I decided to post them on my blog and maybe even be an inspiration to others.

Daily Goals
Spiritual: Pray and read from the scriptures daily for at least 30 minutes.
Emotional: Write in my journal at least once a day.
Social: (Other than Facebook/Blogger?) Call at least one friend or family member a day.
Physical: Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (This requires getting up at the crack of dawn to run. I live for it... when I actually get out of bed to do it!)
Intellectual: Learn something new everyday. Google was invented for a reason.

Long-term Goals
Spiritual: Strengthen my testimony of Jesus Christ in this next three months
Emotional: Be a happier person rather than this life-loathing grouch that I've been the last 4 weeks
Social: Be someone people will want to be friends with the rest of their lives
Physical: Alright, truth comes out. I've lost 10lb. and now I want to lose 10 more. Do ittttt :)
Intellectual: Read and finish Bonds that Make Us Free (My mom has been throwing this book in my face for the past month. It's about time I just read it.)

What are your goals?

July 2012 Ensign articles:

When Good Plans Don't Work Out

Waiting on the Lord, Renewing Our Strength

1 comment:

  1. ha ha, I just blogged last week about how I want to lose 10 pounds. Good for you for accomplishing that one! I think you have more get up and go than I do though :) Keep up on the goals! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Followers