Background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

How to be totally miserable.

Think about your problems.

Last night I started this little book by John Bytheway called How to be Totally Miserable. It's borderline the best little book any miserable person can ever read.

He gives you advice about how to be miserable. (In hopes you'll choose not to, of course.)

I loved this paragraph:

"In order to be miserable, you're going to have to spend a lot of time thinking about your problems. Sure, there are lots of much more interesting things to think about, like your plans, your goals, your dreams-and, like the song says, when you are worried and you can't sleep, you might even count your blessings instead of sheep. But that will only lead to excitement, anticipation, and gratitude. The happiest people think their thoughts according to a plan, and in order to be miserable, you've got to have a plan too--plan to ignore all your wonderful opportunities and ponder only your probles. People eventually become what they think about, so to be miserable, think about your problems, your failures, and your disappointments until you become nothing but a lumbering blob of depression with legs. (Rest assured, however, that if you become a walking problem, someone is going to come along and try to solve you.)" (Bytheway 7).


I was reminded of this paragraph tonight when I was on the phone with Stephanie. To be honest, I just wanted to start complaining about... yeah. And then I stopped. And read her this paragraph. Then, I told her how excited I was about my future plans! (Yes, those ones that I refuse to disclose to the world.)

[Why am I so reluctant to share them with you? Well, we all know what happens when I tell everyone what I'm going to do, right? Plans fall through. It's just how my life works. So, with that being said... I'm not telling until it's for sure... that's all.]

Note to self:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers